Class Descriptions and Schedules
It is important for prospective students to audit classes before signing up. Maria’s policy is that no one should enter her classes without being familiar with her methods and aware of the rigorous demands which are made on all her students. There is no charge for auditing. Actors need to study, of course, but they also need to work and be paid for their work. Maria consults with qualified students about furthering their careers (getting an agent, getting a manager, getting a job) even as they pursue and perfect the craft of acting.
THE BASIC CLASS (TWICE WEEKLY)
This class has few real beginners and many professionals who are beginning the technique.
- The Meisner basics technique
- How to work with a partner
- Repetition exercises
- Working moment to moment
- How to break down a scene
- How to prepare
- Simple improvisations
THE ADVANCED CLASS (6 HOURS ONCE A WEEK)
- Character analysis
- Advanced scene analysis and fast preparation is stressed
- Stage acting versus film acting
- Acting for the camera
- Audition techniques (scenes and monologues)
- Building a career
COLD-READING & COMMERCIAL CLASS (TWICE YEARLY.) A professional must.
- Quick scene analysis and fast preparation
- Explore material from current television, film, stage and commercial pieces
- Pre-plan the opening and closing moment
- Pre-planned action choices are put to improvisational reading stresses
THE BUSINESS OF ACTING (3 HOURS BI-WEEKLY.) OFFERED TWICE YEARLY.
Covers specific areas:
- What to wear
- What to ask
- What to share about yourself
- Coaching on how to form a relationship in a short period
- How to stay positive
- How to read an interviewer’s messages
- How to follow up on the interview
- Assertiveness vs. aggressiveness
- Attention paid to resumé, pictures and wardrobe
Private Coaching is available. Please contact the studio.